TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
. Home . Bookstore . Audio & Video . Read Articles Testimonials Testimonials . Shopping Cart . Contact Us . Forum  
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 How to Use TOUCH/Cell Group People Resources
 Intergenerational Groups, Family & Children
 Youth Cells Too?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

This field helps prevent automated access
Enter the code as it is shown below:  
  The CAPTCHA image Listen (mp3)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gospelizer Posted - 05/02/2005 : 09:09:19
It has always been my belief that intergenerational cells are the proper biblical model. It has disturbed me how church programs have ripped families apart (e.g. separate Sunday School classes, separate places to sit in the auditorium for the youth, etc.). Beacuse of this I have always resisted things like "Youth Cells."

In the 2005 edition of Cell Group Journal I read with interest the section on youth cells. I am beginning to wonder if this kind of ministry might enhance cell life rather than detracting from the intergenerational cells. But, I have a conflict in my own mind right now whether things such as youth cells might not in some ways do more harm than good by once again breaking up the family.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts. I would be particularly interested in both Daphne's and Randall's thoughts in this area.

Thanks!

Bob P.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
daphne kirk Posted - 05/12/2005 : 00:46:28
In my previous post I am talking a lot about attitudes and heart values - I see churches which have youth cells "because they can get on with children / older people" to me this is not the church Jesus died for.

However to have youth cells for the reasons I set out are empowering and can be a part of what Jesus is doing - even support by and cheered on by parents / spiritual fathers and mothers / intergenerational cells.

Is that clearer?

Reconnecting the generations and releasing young people and children to have an uncompromising passion for Jesus with a heart for mission and evangelism. www.Gnation2gnation.com
Gospelizer Posted - 05/11/2005 : 08:06:59
Daphne:

I hope I caught you before your next flight!

I am still not completely clear where you believe that youth cells fit into cell life as a whole. Are you saying that in a church that intergenerational cells are to be the focus and that youth cells are secondary? The first part of your E-mail seems to contradict the second part. I'm not sure how you believe that youth cells fit into cell ministry as a whole.

Thanks!
Bob P.
Donorail Posted - 05/11/2005 : 07:44:09
The group I am leading is not youth, but young adults (20s and early 30s). Most of their parents are in their 50s and are in positions of great influence in the church.

I have found that having a group for just young adults has two benefits:

1) The young adults are now taking ownership of their faith instead of just riding on the coattails of their parents.

2) The parents naturally make decisions that appeal to Baby Boomers. The Young Adults are beginning to learn to organize activities and relationships in ways that reach out to other young adults. Hopefully this will strengthen our church.
daphne kirk Posted - 05/09/2005 : 11:18:37
I am OFF a plane right now having come back from Australia and Indonesia!!!

My thoughts on Youth cells are this....

First if they are set up because people expect there to be a generation gap during teenage years then that is totally against the expectations of scripture. The Church generally offers almost no opportunity for families to be the Body of Jesus together - and then they wonder why it does not happen at home. Teenagers are almost never with their families in the context of church. I believe this is very sad and not at all giving a message that the Body of Jesus can be together whatever age, gender, or race. The IG cell gives a rare opportunity for this to happen and it is sad if children who have grown up in cell with their parents are expected to leave just becuase they reach a certain age (no Biblical foundation for that!!)

Having said that I do think that Youth Cells play an important place with intergenerational cells for the following reasons

I always encourage churches to train their young people to run youth cells in their schools and homes to reach their generation (so we dont have another generation that expects their friends to "come to church" but takes church to them) IG cells can not penetrate their culture and education systems - but they can support the young people as they do!

Families do not do everything together - sometimes the adults do something separately, sometimes the children and sometimes the young people do things without the parents. So this can be so in the Church so long as we know that our foundational place is to be "one" as Jesus prayed we would be.

Youth Cells and childrens cells are an opportunity for them to rise into cell leadership - and to disciple their peers. I know churches where children lead cells in their schools from the age of 7 years!!

I also believe that even during the teen years Biblically parents should be the primary disciplers of their children - but they also need others who will input their lives. Timothy had his family AND Paul!!

Young people always find time to meet together - and we can provide them with that opportunity through the youth cell.

SO - I believe they have an important place but never to bring a gap between the teens and their parents! Too many youth cell leaders who are adults think they can replace the parents - instead of working with them.

If they can plant a children's or youth cell they can plant a church!! This is preparing them to go to the unreached places of this earth and fulfill the Great Commission - supported, trained and cheered on by their families and our generation!

Any more questions!!!! (While I have my feet on the ground!!!)

Reconnecting the generations and releasing young people and children to have an uncompromising passion for Jesus with a heart for mission and evangelism. www.Gnation2gnation.com
touchadmin Posted - 05/09/2005 : 10:10:44
I emailed her to ask if she could come and give input as well... she's always on a plane going somewhere these days!

Randall Neighbour
Forum Administrator
Gospelizer Posted - 05/07/2005 : 14:14:39
Thanks, and yes, it was helpful. I think I will continue to pray about them and pursue them further.

Still would love to hear Daphne's thoughts too (hint-hint)!

Thanks again, brother.

Bob P.
touchadmin Posted - 05/03/2005 : 10:26:20
Bob, youth cells seem too keep teenagers involved in ministry far more than asking them to remain in their parent's cell groups, although many teens I know that are on fire for God enjoy being a member of their parent's intergenerational cell group as well.

Usually, by the time a child becomes a teenager, he or she is itching to be independent and becoming their own person... youth cells help the young adult form a sense of spirituality that is independent from their parents' faith. I can safely say that if it were not for my youth cell group involvement as a cell leader when I was 17, I would not have come back to God when I was 24 and become a fully devoted follower of Jesus Christ.

Hope this helps.

Randall Neighbour
Forum Administrator

TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum © Copyright 2010 TOUCH Outreach Ministries, Inc. All rights reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000