TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
. Home . Bookstore . Audio & Video . Read Articles Testimonials Testimonials . Shopping Cart . Contact Us . Forum  
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Ask The Experts!
 Pick Joel Comiskey's Brain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2004 :  06:24:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been asked by the board of the church I go to, to establish a list of qualifications for each person have before they become a cell leader. This list should include membership in the church and a meeting with the board.

Now I am on the board and think that this could be a great question is, what qualifications do you think would be beneficial? Do you think membership to the church is necessary? Thanks

Edited by - RedSalt on 10/11/2004 06:27:13

Joel Comiskey

30 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2004 :  08:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great question about qualitifications. Each cell church has a little different twist on that question and very few churches require the exact same things. I've included below various leadership requirements in various cell churches. In summary, however, I think it's essential that the cell leader:

THIS MEANS: the person is baptized, free from major besetting sins (encounter retreat), having a quiet time, knows how to evangelize and lead a cell gorup.

Such a person is certainly a member, in my opinion!!

Hopefully the person is tithing, but I haven't yet come to the point of saying that a person can't be a cell leader unless he or she is doing so (certainly can't be a board member unless he or she is tithing).

The International Charismatic Mission: Leadership Requirements

At ICM, a cell leader must be baptized in water and with the Holy Spirit, and must fulfill the duties of church membership (e.g. attending the main church services, tithing, and demonstrating faithfulness to the church).

1. Baptized in water and with the Holy Spirit
2. Fulfill the duties of church membership (e.g. attending the main church services, tithing, and demonstrating faithfulness to the church).
3. Encounter Retreat
4. Three month training course for leadership
5. Second Encounter Retreat

Holy living is repeatedly emphasized along with maintaining a godly family life. The top leadership does not hesitate to remove people who are not living godly lives. I repeatedly heard stories of leaders being removed because they were living in sin or were in ministry because of their talent instead of their commitment to Christ. I heard of several leaders being removed or strongly warned about having a “spirit of pride.” They were not submissive to those in charge.
The young people require that a leader multiply his cell group in order to remain in leadership. The story is told of the drummer who was given one month to multiply his cell group or resign. Supposedly, he was in leadership because of his talent and not a heart for ministry. He resigned. I’m reminded that John Wesley did not hesitate to remove “class” leaders if they were not living in holiness.

Christian Center of Guayaquil: Leadership Requirements
Leadership requirements at CCG include salvation, baptism in water, attendance at a cell group, and completion of the four-week cell leader-training course. Although an Assembly of God church, it did not require that the cell leader speak in tongues. According to a manual distributed at the 1997 CCG conference, the requirements for a cell leader at CCG are:

1. Baptism in water
2. Membership (Faithfulness in time and offering at CCG)
3. Form part of the leadership team of the cell group
4. Attend the leadership course for cell leaders
5. Godly Christian living
6. Maintain a godly family life

Bethany World Prayer Center: Leadership Requirements
All Cell leaders must fulfill the following requirements before entering leadership:

1. Be saved and exemplify a strong Christian life
2. Be a faithful member of Bethany World Prayer Center for six months, having submitted to the leadership at Bethany
3. Be a member of a BWPC Touch Group
4. Be baptized in the Holy Spirit
5. Be a faithful tither of your income to the Lord.
6. Complete all discipleship and leadership requirements
7. If married, your spouse must be in agreement with your working in the Touch Group Ministry
8. Be Recommended by the cell leader for cell leader
9. Be interviewed by District/Zone Pastor
a. DISC Evaluation
b. Enjoy Sheet/spiritual gifts
c. Analysis of their leadership file

The District Pastor accepts the application for leadership. Beyond these basic requirements lies the cell leaders’ training, which has previously been discussed.

Elim Church: Leadership Requirements
The leadership requirements are minimal at EC. They include six months of being a Christian, membership in a cell group, baptism in the Holy Spirit, baptism in water, and completion of the four-week leadership training.
1. Six months of being a Christian
2. Membership in a cell group
3. Baptism in the Holy Spirit
4. Baptism in water
5. Completion of the four-week leadership training.

The heaviest requirement after entering cell leadership is the time commitment. I calculated that the cell leader (as well as the supervisor) must attend five meetings per week. Of course there are other commitments such as visitation, all-night prayer meetings, fasting days, and weekly statistical reporting.

Faith Community Baptist Church: Leadership Requirements
All of the earlier requirements prepare the new believer for cell leadership.

Pre-Leadership Requirements
All potential leaders must pass a number of hurdles before entering cell leadership. The process is called the "year of equipping," but I can imagine that it might take longer than one year. Another name for training at FCBC is Touch Equipping Stations System (TESS). The 1997 the TESS brochure states:

The term 'Equipping Stations' underscores an important aspect of the training philosophy of FCBC. The equipping process adopted by FCBC is likened to a subway system where commuters get on and off stations along a particular line in order to get to an intended destination. No one stays in a particular station for long. Likewise TESS has a very clear end in mind--equipping FCBC's members for ministry. A member goes to a particular station for a very specific purpose and leaves it once he has been equipped for that purpose. He does not go to another equipping station until he needs to be further equipped for ministry.

Recommendation by Cell Leader
This is the first requirement. The cell leader must recommend the potential cell leader. Cell leaders are looking for FAST people (faithful, available, submissive, and teachable).

Cell Leader Intern Training
This course lasts for nine weeks and is usually taught by the Zone Pastor. The course covers the cell church, the cell agenda, worship time in the cell, Word time in the cell and works time in the cell, cell life, prayer, and leadership. A potential cell leader must complete this course before officially becoming a cell leader.

Internship for Six Months
After the intern completes the basic nine-week training, he or she must serve as the cell leader intern for six months before becoming the official cell leader. When the group multiplies, the intern is then ready to take the new group. In the past (1993) they asked each leader to stay on the job until the cell multiplied two times, but I didn't hear this requirement mentioned when I was present.

1. Pre-Leadership Requirements ("year of equipping")
2. Recommendation by Cell Leader
3. Cell Leader Intern Training (nine weeks)
4. Internship for Six Months

Love Alive Church: Leadership Requirements
If one decides to be involved in cell ministry, he or she must be a Christian for two years, be a regular member of a cell group for one year, be the assistant cell leader first, be baptized in water and in the Spirit, pass the interview with the district supervisor, enroll in the discipleship training, and have the proper disposition (e.g., correct attitudes, good testimony, submission to authority).
Nothing is done hurriedly or whimsically at LAC. Possibly, it is for this reason that the cell groups have experienced consistent growth. Unlike other cell ministries in which leaders often have two or more groups, at LAC each leader may direct only one growth group.

1. Christian for two years
2. Regular member of a cell group for one year
3. Service as assistant cell leader
4. Baptism in water and in the Spirit
5. Pass the interview with the district supervisor
6. Enrollment in the discipleship training
7. Proper disposition (e.g., correct attitudes, good testimony, submission to authority).

Yoido Full Gospel Church: Leadership Requirements
There are various qualifications to become a cell leader. District Pastor Yangbae Kim writes, "The qualifications to become a Home Cell Leader are regular attendance at church services, giving tithes, fullness of the Holy Spirit, and devotional posture." In an in-depth interview with District Pastor Song Ho Lee, I learned that a potential leader must first attend the church for more than three years, be baptized in water and in the Spirit (with the evidence of speaking in tongues), and attend the worship services faithfully.
Interestingly enough, he told me that there were no educational requirements specifically for cell leaders. I learned that the educational training at YFGC is for everyone. Pastor Lee told me that it is preferred that all potential cell leaders receive Christian education at YFGC, but it was not mandatory in order to become a leader.

1. Regular attendance at church services
2. Faithful tither
3. Fullness of the Holy Spirit
4. Devotional posture
5. Attendance at the church for at least three years
6. Baptism in water and in the Spirit (with the evidence of speaking in tongues)

New Hope Community Church: Leadership Requirements
All leaders at New Hope Community Church sign a one-year renewable contract to serve both as group leader and lay pastor. The time requirement for a typical leader at NHCC is six to eight hours per week. Hunter writes:

Lay pastors and assistant lay pastors must first take a weekend of training before assuming leadership of any group. Once involved as leaders, they are expected to attend a weekly leaders’ meeting—where they submit reports from last week’s meeting, study the lesson for their next group meeting, and receive further training in lay ministry and small group leadership.”

New Hope expects their leaders to file weekly reports as well as attend weekly training meetings. Here are the twelve requirements that NHCC asks of their leaders:
1. Consistency and commitment to leading the Christian lifestyle
2. Vision and loyalty to the church
3. Dependability and accountability to leadership
4. Consistent walk with the Holy Spirit
5. Regular participant or leader of a small group
6. Commitment to attend the lay-pastor’s weekly training meeting (they have six or seven different weekly training schedules each week)

7. Commitment to wear the lay-pastor’s badge on Sunday
8. Discipleship of those who come forward during the celebration services

9. Faithful and diligent work each week
10. Membership in the church
11. Faithfulness in tithing to the church
12. Maintain a solid family life

Joel Comiskey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum © Copyright 2010 TOUCH Outreach Ministries, Inc. All rights reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000