TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
. Home . Bookstore . Audio & Video . Read Articles Testimonials Testimonials . Shopping Cart . Contact Us . Forum  
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Ask The Experts!
 Pick Ralph Neighbour's Brain
 Vision Dissonance and the Cell
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  20:34:52  Show Profile
I have read where do we go from here and the second reformation twice each. I am currently reading making cell groups work by m.s. boren. I am in a christian discipleship ministry in the san diego CA for the poor, addicted, homeless etc..(the outcasts of society). I have a vision for cell that the Lord has been burning in me a long time, ever since I attended a Cell Group Seminar by Bill Beckham called the Two Winged Church Will Fly - when I briefly attended seminary ten years ago. I am halfway through my churches pastoral training program and am studying to become a pastor.

I stuggle with all these ideas in the book vs whats real in my church and it is cognatively and emotionally dissonating - is that a word? The vision has so engulfed me that I will never be the same. You talked about that in your book. It is the most fustrating experience I have ever had.

Right now I am learning more and more about the vision and learning and praying intensely that God would use me to plant a cell church or influence our current ministry structure but I know that the values must change first and these are deeply entrenched. This vision I learn about and gain in the reading is so overwhelming compared to the reality in my church - that I get discouraged at the insurrmountability I face when and (I am bearing my heart here) I think about what it is that the Lord is calling me to do anyway.

I dont think my current church could ever transition because of the past and currently ingrained program based event centered design that it has been operating in for years. We help people off the streets, they get cleaned up, and get sober but leave our ministry. I grieve deeply for this occuring but I believe the root cause is the lack of connectedness.

There is no relational ministry, no small groups, no accountability groups, no one knows each other except on a superficial basis, and things are so impersonal. But the Lord has shown me that another factor contibuting to this is peoples brokenness and past bondage - rejection, jail, and drug addiction, isolation and so on. God is still using our ministry and there are great works God has done in changing lives and I am growing more in my love for broken people. It is so hard sometimes. But God gives me extra grace because we are all extra grace required type people in my church.

But then I realized it has to start with me. I have to be relational and I personally struggle with isolation. I have to reach out to people. I have made a goal to experience cell life myself first with a group of men meeting on a regualr basis.

I have not approached my leadership or my pastors about starting cell groups yet but have just read more and more on cell and observed our ministry. Sometimes I get overly critical but I give this burden to the Lord and confess my inadaquacy to change others. I pray the Holy Spirit will guide me into these truths.

I have some friends that I share with about my concerns but I dont want to be negative either. It just looks so neat and clean on paper as to how to get started but applying it is exactly the title of your title book. Where do we go from here???

Can you assist me in where I might be in this process or advise further resources? Any insight?

Edited by - gggb on 11/23/2004 19:48:56

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum © Copyright 2010 TOUCH Outreach Ministries, Inc. All rights reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000