TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
. Home . Bookstore . Audio & Video . Read Articles Testimonials Testimonials . Shopping Cart . Contact Us . Forum  
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Ask The Experts!
 Pick Randall Neighbour's Brain
 Servant Evangelism
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gospelizer
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  08:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Brother! No, I haven't forgotten about the forum!

I have been reading Steve Sjogren's material on servant evangelism as well as material at servantevangelism.com. Although I am squarely behind the concept I find several problems with many of the ideas:

1) Most of the activities are geared to younger people. I have a desire to get our senior cell members involved in servant evangelism as well.

2) Many of the activities require a great deal of financial support. Many in our church are having a difficult time just "making ends meet."

3) Many of the activities have a multitude of legal and practical problems. In the Detroit area (where I pastor), unless someone knows you, you are going to have a difficult time both legally and practically giving away food. Also, things like touching another person's car is taboo. I could go on....

Honestly, the ideas don't seem very practical. They seem to be geared to...

1) Larger churches with larger budgets.
2) Churches with predominately a younger make up.
3) More rural areas.

Randall, I guess I am looking for more practical servant evangelism ideas that are geared more toward my situation. Do you know of any other books or web sites on servant evangelism that would be helpful? Sometimes my creativity needs a jump start.

Thanks!
Bob

touchadmin
Forum Admin

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  09:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karen Hurston suggests one great idea...

On one's own block, a cell member can walk door to door on a Saturday morning (after 9:30 to let folks sleep in!) and ask for a can of something (peas, beans, etc.) for a collection going to a local shelter or food pantry as a part of a church service project stemming from the group that meets in their home from time to time or every Tuesday.

If they contribute, ask if it would be ok to drop by in a month or so and see if they have another can to contribute.

Between the first and second collections, prayer walking should be done every night on that street! The cell members who live there should get some exercise and pray over every home they visited or attempted to visit, and ask God for favor with the occupants.

The next month, when the cell member returns to collect a second can, an additional cell member should join them. They should be introduced as a friend from church who goes to their small group. Before the two members leave, they should ask the occupant if there is anything special they can pray about, believing that God heals and still does miracles today. Is there a sick child? Fear of a job loss? Patience needed in a situation at work or home?

If nothing is shared, tell the occupant that the group will simply pray that God's blessing would be on the home, each person and family.

If they do share something. Make a note of it AFTER the person closes the door and bring it back to the group. This gives the member permission to go back in a few weeks and tell the person the group has been praying weekly and he or she has been praying daily for the situation... now it's time for an update.

This can easily build relationships with neighbors who may not want God today, but want to do their part by throwing a can of beans into a collection bag.

Other ideas include mowing lawns for renters or elderly people on the block, holding a block party, offering to show anyone on a given block how to check the oil on their car, change a tire, inspect the engine for problems, etc. (you'd be surprised how many women AND men will bring their cars down the block for this!)

I am not a big fan of servant evangelism strategies that take a group to a far away place in town where they will never feel comfortable relating to those people again. Birds of a feather flock together... projects and prayer walking around one's own block is very powerful and a good way to build a cell group.

Remember that Sjogren is offering ideas to churches (verses cell groups) to build their Sunday services for the most part. A toilet cleaning at area convenience stores might get the employee to visit the church one Sunday, but he or she is probably not going to come to a cell group because these folks rarely live near where they are forced to work, and are usually from a completely different cultural background than the folks cleaning their toilets.

Randall Neighbour
Forum Administrator
Go to Top of Page

Gospelizer
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  08:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good stuff! Thanks!

Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum © Copyright 2010 TOUCH Outreach Ministries, Inc. All rights reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000