TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
. Home . Bookstore . Audio & Video . Read Articles Testimonials Testimonials . Shopping Cart . Contact Us . Forum  
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Pastor's discussion area
 What's on your mind?
 Small group duration
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dan Hornbostel
Starting Member

Korea
1 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  05:26:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a seminary student and the pastor of a small church in Korea with about 60-70 members. I've been pastoring my church for about a year and we started about 3 prayer groups in March so I really wouldn't say we're an official cell church we're just experimenting with teh model.

Anyway, one of the core members of my church has been leading a Bible study for about 4 years ongoing and the group really doesn't seem to serve a purpose anymore except to have the "committed core" minister to the "committed core". I attended the group for about two or three years and stopped in March when I started seminary. Is there any healthy benchmark for the duration of a Bible study? Should I just leave the group be as long as they want to meet? What are the signs that a Bible study, objectively, isn't healthy and should think about closing?

Any advice is welcome.

Dan

touchadmin
Forum Admin

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  21:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone want to chime in here?

I have a sizeable cell group knowledge base, but I'm no Bible Study expert!

Randall Neighbour
Forum Administrator
Go to Top of Page

Donorail
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  07:40:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The group must be meeting needs or it would not still be together. It sounds like it has been a success in either Christian community and/or Bible knowledge.

But my guess is that the group has failed in outreach. If that is true, have you challenged them to seek new members? Perhaps their next "Bible study" series could be about evangelism and then you could have them end the study with an outreach party.
Go to Top of Page

Messenger
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  07:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The rule of thumb I use for a group is as follows:

If it is not multiplying, it is dead. This does not mean increase in numbers of people, it means either the members are getting nourished to give up their own agendas and become a better reflection of Jesus, and challenged to translate that more effectively in their daily lives, or the group is dead. In the case of a dead group, the pastor should be doing the above with the group leader and members to make sure all the branches in his/her congregation are alive and thriving.

Be fruitful and multiply…

Blessings,

jc
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum © Copyright 2010 TOUCH Outreach Ministries, Inc. All rights reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000