TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
. Home . Bookstore . Audio & Video . Read Articles Testimonials Testimonials . Shopping Cart . Contact Us . Forum  
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Ask The Experts!
 Pick Daphne Kirk's Brain
 Discipling of Children
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

daphne kirk

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  09:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Biblically parents are the disciplers of their children, yet all over the world it seems that generally they have abdicated their responsibility to the church and the church struggles with the task. It is a Biblical command that parents disciple their children.. so affects every area of cell life, leadership and training ... where there are parents there is a command to be obeyed!

It would be great to have some discussion on this fundamental theme that is so clsoe to the heart of the Father.....so over to you!

Daphne Kirk
Reconnecting the generations and releasing young people and children to have an uncompromising passion for Jesus with a heart for mission and evangelism. www.daphnekirk.org

daphne kirk

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2003 :  17:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many of you have read this.... but no one has commented!!

There must be challenges, or thoughts, or ideas, or problems about restoring discipleship to parents.

I am looking forward to being able to dialogue about this foundational issue that is a challenge within the church all over the world.

Who will go first?

Daphne Kirk
Reconnecting the generations and releasing young people and children to have an uncompromising passion for Jesus with a heart for mission and evangelism. www.daphnekirk.org
Go to Top of Page

chet
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  18:03:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that the parents have the responsibility to disciple their kids, yet most parents have willfully absolved themselves of that responsibility. I believe there is multiple reasons. For those in church, the institutional foundation of the churches have relegated discipling to those who are deemed qualified, so most parents feel ill prepared or don't know enough to disciple their kids. For me personally,we have lots of kids in church but the parents are not belivers so you can't expect them to teach or disciple their kids. They don't mind if their kids go to church but why would they teach their kids about something they don't believe themselves.As matter of fact Jesus is considered the God of the White man.
chet
Go to Top of Page

daphne kirk

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  08:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear from you

I agree that we are faced with many problems in this area.

We have two challenges:

Children from Christian families:

I rarely hear this very Biblical topic preached by Pastors even once, never mind on a regular basis! So many Pastors, leaders and parents do not see the thrust of Scripture in this area. When I have taught on this parents weep with repentance.

Churches to do empower and equip parents. We give the "message" that we are more able to do the task than the parents, as evident in the strategies that we put in place.

Leaders (Pastors, cell leaders, coaches etc) are put in position to lead and disciple others with no checks, or accountability for their family and the discipleship of their own children - and so this filters through at every level

Children from non Christian families

There would be more people and families to disciple them if the core of the church was discipling their own children

Generally people do not undertsand the Biblcal mandate that the whole of one generation is responsible for the next (not a few "called ones") we are all commanded to pass on to the next generation. If this Biblical command was preached, taught and lived as the culture of the Kingdom then children from non Christian families could be discipled throughout the Body until their parents were reached for Jesus

This may seem too radical to even begin BUT be heartened ; These are the days when the hearts of the fathers are being turned to the children and all over the world the Holy Spirit is brining about this restoration for JESUS sake!

Lets keep this dialogue going..... it is too important to pass us by!

Daphne Kirk
Go to Top of Page

chet
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  15:32:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have many families with older siblings ,even teen age siblings. I've noticed that as the kids get older they drop out.I think if we began discipling the older kids separately and train them to be the discipler in their home then maybe they wouldn't drop out plus the kids would benefit through the older sibling assuming the parental role of discipling.
chet
Go to Top of Page

daphne kirk

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  04:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a problem that many face - discipleship is rarely thought of in terms of children. I believe some reasons that many fall away when they are older are:
they were not discipled in their early years
they dont have strong relationships
their roots have not gone deep in to Jesus.
they do not esperience His power, purpose and presence in their lives
they have not been given a sense of responsibility and ownership

Certainly they need discipling themselves in a consistent relationship whatever the way forward you may take. They are already role models to their younger siblings.... so as their walk with Jesus is transformed so they will automatically affect their families.

I am not too sure about them "assuming the parental role of discipling." as that thought could put a weight on them they were never given by Jesus, especially at a time when they have their own challenges to walk through but certainly they can be given an awareness of the impact they can have on them!

Great to hear from you again!

Daphne Kirk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum © Copyright 2010 TOUCH Outreach Ministries, Inc. All rights reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000