TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
. Home . Bookstore . Audio & Video . Read Articles Testimonials Testimonials . Shopping Cart . Contact Us . Forum  
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Pastor's discussion area
 What's on your mind?
 40 Days of Purpose
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RedSalt
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  12:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well this is all good information to gather from if I ever wanted to do "40 Days"
Go to Top of Page

polskawojo
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  21:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a comment or two to add to the mix...
Our church in Ohio, did the 40 days of purpose campaign as well. The goal at the time was to see many ongoing "community groups" (as they call them). The groups were loosely structured. Very little prayer took place. Very little evangelism. On the most part, it was a nice social Bible study gathering; temporary in nature; no expectations from the staff to the congregation to further develop the "community group" dynamics in a healthy fashion. To this day, the "community group" concept is an optional program in the midst of a myraid of other church programs.

TJW
Go to Top of Page

richshome
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  13:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have only experienced the 40DOP program in a traditional church setting. The results we experienced were slim to none. Most of the groups disbanded after the program. I was left with a not so good taste in my mouth.

In my opinion, the way you start something sets the precedence for the way it will continue. Using the 40DOP program to start cell groups would be like taking babies out of perfectly good homes in order to put them into foster homes, a place of temporary residence.

The foundation of 40DOP is prgram centered. It is a program, designed to bring people to the building. Rick Warren is a neat guy and a great leader but his paradigm is traditional church. So, whatever he designs is going to be traditional in nature. In order to use 40DOP in a cell context, one would have to redesign its structure.

I believe Bethany World Prayer Center did something like this a few years ago. They took the purpose driven idea and formatted it to their context. I have no idea what kind of results they got.

Seeking An Audience of One,
Richard Aronson
Go to Top of Page

Execjean
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  14:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We did 40 Days of Purpose in our church in October-November 2005. We launched 21 groups after a history of 3 consistant - and consistantly small - small groups. I have personnaly conducted small groups for more than 10 years. 40 Days is a terrific jumping off point. The material is cost effective. There's little guess work and the topics are attractive to the unchurched.

Experience says that anyone will do ANYTHING for a short period of time, that's what makes campaigns great. BUT 40 DAYS will peter out if the leadership is not prepared to take it on following the campaign. Training, coaching, follow up, curriculuum, etc must be part of the follow up. AND it must be part of the church's plan to develop a small group model. Its a paradigm shift for most of us from traditional backgounds to consider having a little-trained leader take control of a group of friends in their home. They meet with their friends anyway, so why not provide structured Bible study?
Go to Top of Page

touchadmin
Forum Admin

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  10:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I created this thread so long ago, my home church (a Vineyard church in Houston) has begun the 40DOP. My cell group broke up into three 40DOP groups for the 6 weeks of the campaign.

Week two has just passed. Had our meeting last night. Two of my unsaved friends, who are very close to my wife and I, are attending and sharing openly. Only one couple from my cell group are in our group. Everyone else is new, which is really refreshing to me personally.

Observations:

One of my unbelieving friends has no confidence in the existence of God. The first video session with Rick Warren made three assumptions:

1) There is a God.
2) His Son, Jesus Christ came to earth to save us from Hell when we die if we believe in Him.
3) The Bible is God's inspired, holy, accurate manual to learn how to live one's life.

In an interview I saw with Rick, he said he created 40DOP for his own church members, who didn't have a strong purpose in life and were drawn blown by every wind the culture brought... materialism, workaholism, unneeded debt, and stress.

So, while I do think it's bringing my lost friends into a far greater understanding of God's unconditional love for them, it should be stated that it isn't for those without a Christian background or those who are not earnestly seeking God.

The Alpha program would be far better suited for my friends, but I could not get them to attend it with me. After this though, they may sign up when I take it again this fall as part of my church's basic membership requirements.

Randall Neighbour
Forum Administrator
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum © Copyright 2010 TOUCH Outreach Ministries, Inc. All rights reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000