TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
. Home . Bookstore . Audio & Video . Read Articles Testimonials Testimonials . Shopping Cart . Contact Us . Forum  
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Ask The Experts!
 Pick Joel Comiskey's Brain
 coaching structure
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cjplumb
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2003 :  16:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
joel,
you have no idea how much you've influenced my view of ministry and cells. I really hope to meet you some day. Anyway, I am joing a cell church plant in Iowa of all places. After reading your book, Groups of 12, I have tried to come up with a coaching structure that captures the benefits of both the G12 and the 5x5. I wanted to blow it by you and get your opinion.
Some of the inspiration for this structure came from Acts 13 where Paul and Barnabas ministered together. The model is as follows - As a leader leaves his mother cell to start his own groups (after trainng and apprenticing) he joins a team of other cell leaders. Like the G12 this model multiplies out leaders, it does not divide a group when it reaches a certain number. Unlike the G12 a new leader does not necessarily go back to his original group leader. Also unlike the G12 leadership cell will only be allowed to go to 2-6 leaders not 12. The function of this leadership cell is like that of a G12 in that it is the place where leaders are ministered to. But in america where it's hard to have several meetings a week it will be more time efficient to have a smaller group get together - the meeting won't take so long and fewer schedules to work around. I was thinking of requiring these groups to meet only once a month because initially all cell leaders will be required to also come to monthly leadership training that will focus on skills training. The leadership cell will be a place for group leaders to swap ideas, pray for on another, keep one another accountable to God and to growing their cell. Basically mutual coaching. There will always be a point leader of this group, but he will function more like a team leader/captian than a coach. Like Paul and Barnabas more than like Jesus and his disicples. I'm doing my MA in intercultural studies right now and I have tried to apply what I think might work best in the cultural setting. This model has less hierarchy. This model may become a problem as the church begins to really grow though. It is not as structured as the 5x5. My job as the cell group coach will be to evaluate reports that are filled out in these mutual coaching meetings. These reports will help direct the monthly leadership training because they will reveal weak areas.

this is the basic format I'm toying with
let me know what you think
thanks Joel
caleb joshua plumb

calebjoshua

Joel Comiskey

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  10:23:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calebb, did you get my last response? I don't know if I was logged on or logged off when I sent it.

Basically, I thanked you for your encouragement and then asked if you had read my book FROM TWELVE TO THREE (Touch 2002), which comes out on the topic of G12 and the North American culture much the same way that you replied in your post. I also recommended my book HOW TO BE A GREAT CELL GROUP COACH (Touch 2003), which gives the content of coach.

I complimented you on running with the principles and trying to apply those principles to western culture, rather than ADOPTING verbatim from BOGOTA.

Blessings on you,

Joel Comiskey
www.comiskey.org
Go to Top of Page

Joel Comiskey

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  18:52:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JUST TO LET THOSE WHO BROWSE THIS SITE THAT I'VE COMMITTED TO CHECKING THIS SITE EACH TUESDAY TO ANSWER ANY REPLIES. BLESSINGS,

Joel Comiskey
www.comiskey.org
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum © Copyright 2010 TOUCH Outreach Ministries, Inc. All rights reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000