TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
. Home . Bookstore . Audio & Video . Read Articles Testimonials Testimonials . Shopping Cart . Contact Us . Forum  
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Ask The Experts!
 Pick Randall Neighbour's Brain
 Beginning Cell Groups--General Philosophy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MikeBeaversLMFT
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  13:10:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two questions, one a micro-level and another on a macro level, somewhat connected.

The micro-q: Do you generally begin and end cell groups with prayer? We're just about to launch cell groups and though I've led groups in the past I find I'm a bit conflicted about this. On the one hand I don't want our cells to feel too "religious" and on the other I definitely want to be faithful in inviting and facilitating the presence of Christ.

The macro-q: Generally in your cell groups do you try to discipline yourself (or others) not to use specialized churchy or theological or religious terms (e.g. sanctification, or other words which the "churched" folks would take for granted but of which unchurched would be clueless)?

As always, thanks for your input.

Michael Beavers, MS LMFT

Michael Beavers, MS LMFT

touchadmin
Forum Admin

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  13:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Micro-q: I often begin and end group meetings with prayer, but I'm starting a new group tomorrow night and I probably won't open with prayer because the evening will be invested in a lot of get-to-know-each-other questions. But, I always ask everyone to stand, hold hands and I (or someone else I ask) pray a closing prayer of blessing over the group. This insures everyone feels released to go home if they are tired or need to escape.

Macro-q: I have never used lots of religious words like "sanctification" in my vocabulary, so this isn't much of a problem in my leadership style. But, I do know others who have visited my group and used religious words that are totally foriegn to many... and I always ask them to explain those words in simple terms for those in the room, including myself, who don't use them. This usually sends a clear message to the observant linguist in our midst... if not, I do visit with them before the next meeting and tell them to "keep all the cookies on the lower shelf" where everyone can grasp what is being shared and won't feel excluded.

Randall Neighbour
Forum Administrator
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum © Copyright 2010 TOUCH Outreach Ministries, Inc. All rights reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000