TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
. Home . Bookstore . Audio & Video . Read Articles Testimonials Testimonials . Shopping Cart . Contact Us . Forum  
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Ask The Experts!
 Pick Daphne Kirk's Brain
 Rules for Discipling Children
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  03:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me and another parent is trying to come up with a list of rules for our children and what punishment they will receive for disobedience. Do anyone have any ideas? We are also trying to use scriptures to help.

daphne kirk

37 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  07:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if you meant "discipling " or "disciplining", they are easily muddled!

When disciplining, I certainly would never use Scripture as "law" but as "grace" . The heart of what you say seems to be with law rather than with the grace and mercy that Jesus came to show.

I would rather be some one who focussed on rewards, encouragement and approval than rules that are backed up by Scripture. The heart of the Word that Jesus came to bring was that of a Father who disciplines with a heart of compassion and love. Whose heart is one of reconcilliation and mercy. Children understand the Father heart of God from their parents - how you discipline will be how they see their Heavenly Father discipline. What a high calling we have as parents to always reflect the heart of the Father.

Ofcourse children need boundaries and need to understand that there are consequencies for their actions but HOW we do it will make a lasting impression on them. Understanding boundaries is something that can be done WITH the children. Letting them be a part of the decision making process. Ofcourse they do not "run the show" but taking them with us rather than ruling over them is a good way to approach discipline. Children have far more understanding than we give them credit for! James Dobson has some fantastic resources, also Raising Kids Gods Way.

I would use Scripture to edify to build up and affirm them, not as a rod of law.

Discipling is really involving Jesus in your lifestyle as you would a most loved, respected and honoured member of the family. Talking with Him, chatting to Him referring to Him throughout the day. Letting the passion of your love for Him and His love for each member of the family spill all over the home

Daphne Kirk
Reconnecting the generations and releasing young people and children to have an uncompromising passion for Jesus with a heart for mission and evangelism.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum © Copyright 2010 TOUCH Outreach Ministries, Inc. All rights reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000