TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
. Home . Bookstore . Audio & Video . Read Articles Testimonials Testimonials . Shopping Cart . Contact Us . Forum  
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 How to Use TOUCH/Cell Group People Resources
 Member Discipleship Books
 How to Implement The Equipping Journey
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

Randall Neighbour

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  03:21:39  Show Profile
Some churches do a great job with cell member discipleship. Just about every member works through the equipping track and begins to lead out as an intern, outreach group leader, etc. I'm often asked, "What do these churches do to make their cell-based discipleship track work?"

In a nutshell, here's what I found:

1. The discipleship track is corporately driven by the staff and the church as a whole. In other words, it's not the responsibility of the cell leader to insure everyone in his or her group gets discipled.
2. Discipleship is successful when the disciple has a mentor, who is at least a couple of months ahead of him or her. This relationship is a deep friendship, of which the discipleship process is one small part.
3. Rewards and recognition are offered for those who achieve milestones in the discipleship track. Some churches recognize the members at the front of the church on Sunday and present them with a certificate of achievement. Other churches budget for more and give a plaque. Yet other churches have told me that when a married couple both complete the discipleship process (which ends with cell leader training) they are given a free weekend at a bed and breakfast and the church finds childcare for them. Needless to say, this last church has LOTS of cell leaders, and it's no wonder why!
4. The successfully discipling churches all had deliverance ministry early on in the process of discipleship. Within about a month or so of entering a cell group, every member (new or old believer)goes away for an encounter with God to confess sin and receive freedom from satanic strongholds. Without this, people will never have enough self esteem and freedom to grow in the Lord and become leaders.

As I take cell members through TOUCH's equipping journey books, I have found that some enjoy the daily studies and others can't sit down regularly and get it done, although it's only 15 minutes a day. When I come across those who just won't discipline themselves to get it done, I just call them numerous times a week and discuss the content. When we meet, I ask them to tell me what they're learning about our discussion, and we look through the pages of their workbook and I ask them to write in their thoughts.

Randall Neighbour
TOUCH. The Cell Group People.

Edited by - Randall Neighbour on 08/27/2003 03:23:13

ewilgus
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  11:57:57  Show Profile
Randall,
Am I correct in thinking that the discipleship track is what goes on outside the group time in mentoring relationships. In other words a cell group may be meeting and discussing a particular topic as a group and are encouraging people in the group to be mentored and to mentor. If so do you find that people are successful in making time for both being mentored and mentoring another?

Thanks,
Ed
Go to Top of Page

touchadmin
Forum Admin

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  18:04:52  Show Profile
Yes, the one on one discipleship usually goes on outside of weekly meetings. I do mine over breakfast one morning with my protege before work or very early on Saturday morning before the family wakes up.

Usually, by the time you are mentoring someone, your own mentor has developed into a strong friend and it's not like another scheduled meeting each week. After all, the discipleship stuff we offer at TOUCH only lasts about 18 weeks or so. After that it's all about setting life and spiritual goals and having an accountability partner to see that you're staying on track.

The idea behind the mentor/protege relationship is to make it just that, a true relationship. When this happens, it's something everyone wants and isn't seen like another weekly meeting.

-Randall Neighbour

Randall Neighbour
Forum Administrator
Go to Top of Page

daphne kirk

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  06:52:39  Show Profile
When I visit churches i am always interested to see how, or if (!) they disciple their people. Some have an effective discipleship culture but very very few actually integrate the discipleship of children by their parents. Members are released to disciple other adults and spiritually "feed" them while their own children and teenagers remain spiritually starving. Cell leaders lead other adults but their primary cell (family) is without their leadership.

How do we justify this?

As I write this the concept of family is being erroded by governemnts - yet we, the Body of Jesus, who should be blazing the way does not make this high priority within our discipleship of adults.

Simple things to include but life changing and even nation changing results

Why is this not seen as foundational. why do we release people to lead other when they are not concerned with leading their own family. This seems such a simple and common sense concept to me ---- or am I missing something?

Daphne Kirk
Reconnecting the generations and releasing young people and children to have an uncompromising passion for Jesus with a heart for mission and evangelism. www.daphnekirk.org
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TOUCH Outreach Group Life Forum © Copyright 2010 TOUCH Outreach Ministries, Inc. All rights reserved. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000